Sunday, October 26, 2014

Wonder - The Studio Challenges

Hello! There's a new challenge up at The Studio Challenges and this one is all about mixed media. The challenge is to use two or more mediums on a scrapbook layout. I love a splatter of mist, but mixing several mediums at once...I'm still learning how to do that and stay true to my simple style. Having said that, this is a challenge after all, so I busted out india ink, whipped spackle, and three colors of mist by Heidi Swapp to create this page:


I first decided where I wanted the photo and all of the patterned paper to go. I fussy-cut the flowers to fit into the corners and then penciled out their shape on my background of watercolor paper.


Next, I used Faber-Castell's whipped spackle and a Heidi Swapp stencil to create all of the dots. I tried to make it look like the whole page had been dotted, but several places were worn away.


The scariest part was adding the color. I poured a bit of mist into a small container and then added a touch of water. I dipped a large brush in the mist and then pooled it onto my page. I did pink first, then orange, then navy. When I was done with the navy puddles, I added some runs.


When that was dry, I splattered black india ink on the page. I wanted the big dots of ink to mimic the dots of the patterned paper.


I LOVE the September Skies line by Heidi Swapp! This floral pattern (and the dots on the B side) is so pretty! I really love the colors.

If you'd like to read the journaling, be sure to visit my flickr gallery for close-ups of the words. I used my title as a prompt and refer to Addie's adorable bedhead curls ;).

If you'd like to play along, you can find the challenge post at The Studio here. Thanks for stopping by today! Tessa

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous, Tessa! I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!